The America Counts program was initiated in 1999 to nationally improve student achievement in mathematics. This program was founded with the hope to assist students in mastering challenging mathematics including foundations of algebra and geometry.
At San Diego State University we employ student tutors to work in local middle and high school classrooms to assist students in learning critical mathematical skills. Tutors strive to help students solve complex mathematical problems while giving personal one-on-one attention.
America Counts Program Goals:
- To equip teachers to teach challenging mathematics through high quality preparation and on-going professional growth
- To assist students in mastering principals of algebra and geometry
- To help students develop a positive attitude towards math
- To support high quality research to inform best practices of mathematics teaching and learning
- To provide personal attention and additional learning time for students
- To encourage a challenging and engaging curriculum for all students based on rigorous standards